Position type: Contract, full time
Duration of contract: April 1, 2021 – March 31, 2022 (1-year contract with possibility of renewal).
Terms: 5 days per week (with the ability to be flexible during peak times – evenings, weekends).
Reports to: Chief Program Officer
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, or remote
Purpose: Reporting directly to the CPO and working alongside the Adult Learning Manager and the Program Administrator, the Youth Programs Manager is responsible for the design and delivery of national Youth Programs within the department. These include the National Science Fair, two national youth conferences, and the National Youth Advisory Committee. This role oversees all aspects of the programs, including the development of virtual learning activities, content, workshops, digital tools, the coordination of logistics, training and support.
As a key member of the Program team, the Youth Programs Manager will advise senior management on key issues related to training, content and resource development, including relevant youth development issues and needs within the COVID-19 environment. He/she/they will collaborate with the project team in a variety of ways but will also need to work very independently and with a high degree of initiative. He/she/they represent 4-H to internal and external stakeholders through consultation, engagement, and training opportunities.
- Management (design, delivery, budget) of National Youth Programs within the program team (specific programs include Members Forum, Science Fair, Citizenship Congress, YAC)
- Facilitate, develop, and deliver high-quality, engaging program content, training, resources, tools and curriculum that demonstrate intentional learning outcomes, rigour and relevance to youth.
- Liaise with a variety of stakeholders including youth, speakers, chaperones, community members, corporate sponsors and public partners.
- Develop and facilitate the delivery of training and conferences on specific subject matter (ie. Careers, Leadership, Civic Engagement, Healthy Living, STEM) within the 4-H context.
- Support the Program team on the logistics including any COVID-19 related adjustments and adaptations required for digital/virtual programming and remote access.
- Report to Chief Program Officer on budget associated with related programs and deliverables.
- Carry out other duties as determined from time to time by the Chief Program Officer
- Represents 4-H in a positive light to internal and external opportunities
Qualifications and Skills
- 3-5 years’ experience and a strong background in an educational and/or experiential learning setting.
- University degree or diploma in Education, Community Development, Child and Youth Studies, Event Planning, e-Learning and/or a related field
- Demonstrated leadership in working collaboratively as a team member
- Professional, objective and ethical approach.
- Demonstrated familiarity with Youth Engagement, Community Service, Volunteerism, Experiential Education and Positive Youth Development approaches to programming.
- Strong facilitation skills and experience developing virtual content and delivering training for a youth audience/youth programming and/or educators.
- Proven organizational, planning, time management and goal-setting skills.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects with multiple priorities on time and within budget.
- Knowledge and understanding of evaluation and outcomes measurement.
- Able to work well under pressure and to meet competing deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in the use of digital/virtual communications technology – able to create engaging, interactive programming using virtual platforms.
- Ability to adjust and adapt to ever‐changing needs and working efficiently with a high degree of personal initiative.
- Ability to work remotely within Canada with possible travel post COVID-19
- Ability to provide a clear criminal record check
Application deadline: March 10, 2021
Virtual interviews will be held the week of March 15, with an ideal start date of April 1.
To apply for this position please email your cover letter and CV to:
Chief Program Officer